Community Group Questions | Community: Signs of Hope | Mar 4, 2018
“Community: Signs of Hope”
Rev. Blake Altman, Lead Pastor
God intends to change you by His Word. How is He at work in you to do that? Read the following passages and consider these questions.
Galatians 6:1-3 (ESV)
1 Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. 2 Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. 3 For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.
QUESTIONS (20 minutes)
Main point: through living in community, there are three traps we can avoid, thus bringing hope.
Trap #1: Unnoticed Sin
1. The "if" in v. 1 is a 3rd class condition in Greek. That means it's a future probable case: "if anyone is caught in any transgression...and you all will be at some point...then you who are spiritual... ." Given that fact, how do we prepare ourselves for the moment when we are caught in an unnoticed sin?
2. What is the best way to restore a brother/sister with unnoticed sin?
Trap #2: Unnoticed Pride
1. Oftentimes we have unnoticed pride because we currently aren't living lives with "technicolor" sins. Why is the decent into pride slow and easy?
2. How do we protect ourselves from a false humility?
3. Why does unnoticed pride (Trap #2) almost never coexist with unnoticed sin (Trap #1)?
4. The parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32) applies here: unnoticed sin is the younger son, and unnoticed pride is the older son. How can we avoid being either son?
Trap #3: Indifference
1. To address unnoticed sin or unnoticed pride in a brother, we must actually care from him. What are we to do if we find ourselves indifferent to a brother/sister?
2. How can we address indifference in a brother/sister?
3. Pastor Blake quoted a Puritan: "Til sin be better, grace be not sweet." How we grow our bitter tastebuds for sin?
4. Pastor Blake asked the question: "What if the greatest threat to _____________ (your family, church, etc.) is you?" Does this ring true for you? Why/why not?
PRAYER (10-15 minutes)
Personal Response: Consider getting each person to ask themselves, How can I avoid these traps and how can I help a brother/sister avoid these traps? Leave silence for the Holy Spirit to work in each person’s heart. In light of what God may have shown them, people may share personal prayer requests. Close with prayer together.
More in Blog
March 12, 2018Community Group Questions | Community: Working Through Forgiveness | Mar 11, 2018
March 4, 2018Community Group Questions | Community: Signs of Hope | Mar 4, 2018
March 1, 2018Community Group Questions | Community: Pursuing Humility | Feb 25, 2018